Monday, December 11, 2006

 

I am one proud San Antonian


So I have been working at the IDP called Awer but pronounced Away with there African accent. These camps are the worst of the worst. Mud huts with thatched roofs, not a car to be seen. Each time a car comes the kids just go crazy then when it is parked they will go up to the car and start touching the lights and wheels and look in the mirror probably looking at themselves in the mirror for the first time for most. The corn on the cob is cheaper here than in the city of Gulu or Kampala. Here at Away a piece of corn is 2 ½ cents instead off 10 or 15 cents in the city. Because that is where they grow them, is in garden of these IDP camps and then is taken to the cities to be sold for more. So my lunches have consisted of corn on the cob. And if I am still hungry I get some more corn on the cob. So the remote part of Awer is what I am trying to get out of all this it is in the middle of no-were. And so a sales woman came to Awer for the day to sell some clothes. And this shirt was hanging up and I nearly pooped my pants. I did not believe my eyes. In the middle of Africa in one of the poorest places in Uganda is a 1999 San Antonio Spurs Championship shirt that came by boat all the way over here. That’s right I said a Spurs Championship shirt.
So you should have seen me that day tyring to explain not only was that shirt was from my home town. But it was a basketball team that I have supported. They only know soccer. So it was very difficult to explain why I was so excited. So I bought the shirt for 57 cents and I gave it to Walter. He has been helping me be a translator and helping out with the structure. He was excited about the shirt more than what was on it. But that’s cool. It made my day seeing something from back home all the way here.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?